What Is Preventive Dental Care?September 30, 2022 6:36 pm
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Preventive dentistry helps you maintain excellent oral health and a pain-free smile, while saving you time and money.
Preventive dentistry is a branch of dentistry that focuses on keeping patients’ smiles healthy and strong with services like dental sealants, fluoride treatments, mouthguards, routine cleanings and checkups, and oral cancer screenings. These services decrease a patient’s risk of developing dental issues, such as cavities, gum disease, and mouth injuries. With preventive dentistry, the goal is to prevent unwanted dental problems and costly treatments.
What Treatments Count As Preventive Dentistry?
There are many treatments that fall under the preventive dentistry category. Some dental services within preventive dentistry include:
- Dental exams, dental X-rays, and cleanings
- Dental sealants
- Fluoride treatments
- Sports mouthguards
- Oral cancer screenings
What Can I Do at Home to Protect My Smile?
In addition to preventive treatments you receive at the dentist, there are also some preventive measures you can take at home to prevent dental disease:
- Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoridated toothpaste.
- Every day, use a floss pick or a string of floss to dislodge any trapped food debris under the gum line or in between teeth.
- Maintain a balanced diet filled with essential nutrients. Fueling your body with the vitamins and nutrients it needs will help safeguard your smile.
- Drink plenty of water so you can stay hydrated and produce enough saliva.
Schedule a Routine Visit to Jonesboro Family Dental!
Are you overdue for your next dental cleaning and exam? Don’t put it off any longer! At Jonesboro Family Dental, we want each and every patient to enjoy the benefits of superb oral health. Please contact our office in Jonesboro, AR, to schedule your next dental cleaning and checkup! We look forward to seeing your smile.
Categorized in: Preventive Dental Care